Connect with us!
The Southwest Foundation is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is to work with Southwest High School and its alumni to create an exceptional educational experience for all Southwest students. The Foundation raises money to support academic, athletic, and artistic opportunities for students and to provide scholarships to graduating seniors.
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT SOUTHWEST HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS DO HAVE SCHOOL ON WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 22ND. SCHOOL WILL BE CLOSED ON THURSDAY NOVEMBER 23RD AND FRIDAY NOVEMBER 24TH. HAVE A HAPPY HOLIDAY ALL!
Thursday, November 16 WAs Minnesota's Give to the Max Day! IF YOU MISSED US LAST WEEK IT'S NOT TOO LATE! Please help Southwest High School with a gift to the Southwest Foundation's 2017-18 Annual Campaign.
Your gift will support academics, athletics, and the arts for every student at Southwest.
You can schedule your donation here!
Your donation will help to provide:
- Math equipment and supplies and exam fees
- Books and curriculum
- Other school clubs and activities
- ACT preparation classes
- 9th and 10th grade play, guest artists, guest actors
- Field trips & classroom supplies
- The Link Crew student mentorship program
- The 9th Grade Academy to promote community and school spirit
- Project Success to help students dream and plan for their futures
- Technical personnel to support assemblies, classes, rehearsals, and performances in the Auditorium
- Wellness Day and activities throughout the year to focus on student mental and emotional well being
- Graphing calculators
- Resources for newcomer English language learners at Southwest
- Somali and Spanish interpreters for Fall and Early Spring Parent/Teacher Conferences
- Supplies for the new culinary, food and nutrition classes
- Offsite testing locations
- Scholarships for graduating seniors
- Field trip for IB Japanese students with visitors from our sister school in Japan - Kasugaoka HS,
- Student scholarships for CAS projects
- Offsite testing locations
- Supplies, student awards, & postage
- Field trips and incentives for School within School program
- T-shirts for the Southwest student ambassadors group
- Actors to help prepare IB assessment Shakespeare scenes
- Supplies for students in the ASD program
- Passport to College workshop
- Author visits
- Respect Retreat with Youth Frontiers
- Model UN local and Chicago conferences
- Many after-school clubs and activities
Distinguished Alumni awards -- Make a Nomination Today!
Last fall the Southwest High School Foundation awarded its first Distinguished Alumni Awards to alumni for their outstanding contributions to their community, alma mater, or country in their chosen career or community service. In May, the Distinguished Alumni Committee chose this year's awardees. The 2017 Distinguished Alumni are: John Hetland '48, Iric Nathanson '57, Tom Neiman '65, Gene Winstead '68, and Lizz Winstead '79. Please join Southwest in honoring these great alumni on Saturday afternoon, September 9, at 2:00 in the Southwest Commons (Door 1 on 47th Street).
The Foundation encourages alumni to nominate their friends, family, and classmates who are deserving of this award. The Distinguished Alumni Committee, chaired by former Foundation President Nancy Rose Pribyl '81, reviews all nominations and selects the winners. In addition to Nancy Rose Pribyl '81, Committee members include Adam Barrett '00, Kelly Doran '75, Diane Darr '48, Jack Rice '59, Ruth Usem '57, and Southwest Principal Bill Smith. To make a nomination, please click here to print a nomination form and mail it to the Foundation's address: 3414 W. 47th St., Minneapolis, MN 55410. If you would like a nomination form mailed to you, please call Nancy Rose Pribyl at 952.250.9891.
Nominations are open for 2018! The Committee looks forward to hearing about the amazing accomplishments of Southwest's alumni community.